Charteris Sports Centre in NW6 is Kilburn’s ‘hidden gem’, combining a pay-as-you-go gym with sports, fitness classes, school holiday activities, kids’ parties and cycling sessions. Residents are concerned that the centre’s closure – scheduled for 1 April – will leave the area with no sports or community facilities.
Simon Rogers, chair of Brent Eleven Streets residents association says: ‘Charteris is a central hub for the community, and has a lot of support from people living in Kilburn. Residents, young and old, love coming here, and we hope to save it.’ Local schoolgirl Tiger Brigden, age nine, says: ‘My sisters and I have had many birthday parties and after-school clubs here. Many children would do anything to keep Charteris standing where it is.’
Over 150 residents attended a lively meeting at the centre on 22 January to discuss next steps with the council. Mike, a war veteran, told Cllr James Powney (Lab, Kensal Green) ‘I study aikido here and it changed my life. It stopped me from being psychotic, and prevented me from doing harm in the community. “Could you tell me from your cost benefit analysis just what you think that is worth?’
ACT NOW Charteris is improving the health, well being and social lives of the whole community – and it’s right on your doorstep. Don’t let this unique venue disappear!
What you can do…
1. Use it or lose it! Book a fitness class, use the gym, hire the hall for five-a-side football or a children’s party. Now taking bookings for February half-term activities.
2. Join the ‘Save Charteris Sports Centre’ Facebook group
3. Sign the petition at the sports centre (Charteris Road, NW6)
4. Email the council and tell them what you think: email@example.com
(Message title: ‘Save Charteris Sports Centre’)
5. Spread the word! Ask your friends, neighbours, school mums and dads etc to back the campaign. Print off this A4 poster to print off and put in your window or on your car – please support the campaign to save this vital resource for our community.